My beautiful blogging friend Hayley from Love Art Baby gifted me The Very Inspiring Blogger Award. This is flattering on so many levels because of the sort of woman that it's coming from. She's amazing. She's an artist in every sense of the word. A lovely creator. A brave and gentle mother. A sincerely sweet soul.
I've received a few of these great blogging awards from others before, but unfortunately I've never followed through with them the way that I should have. I feel bad about that. Really, I do. They are a wonderful compliment from my fellow writers and friends. I hope they all know how much each one has meant to me.
But, this award from Hayley, I just couldn't forget about. Even though I got busy with other things, this one sort of stuck with me. So, it is with great honor that I accept this lovely compliment from her. I hope she knows that she inspires me just as much!
The rules for this one are simple (which I LOVE!), to share seven things about myself and to pass it along to a few bloggers who inspire me. I can totally do this!
1. My husband and I had a very intimate wedding ceremony. It was presided over by a Michigan State Supreme Court Judge. The vows I wrote totally made her cry. Right before I walked down the aisle was the only time in my life that I've almost genuinely fainted. Only our very closest family and friends were there. It actually took place in the incredibly beautiful high school where he works. We're the only people to this date who have been married there. I love that. After the ceremony, we went dancing with our friends at this great bar. The first song we danced to was "Girl You Know It's True" by Milli Vanilli. No lie.
2. I'm a hardcore, die-hard Counting Crows fan. They've actually made lots of other music since "Mr. Jones" and that song from Shrek. I'm always surprised how many people don't know that. I see them in concert every single time that I get the chance. I've never once had anything but a totally amazing time at one of their shows. I don't care if no one thinks this is cool. I don't care if the lead singer is a douche who still rocks a crazy head full of fake dreads. I love 'em!
3. I actually used to be super outdoorsy in my former life. I was a lifeguard and a summer camp counselor for years and years. I was a hiker and a singer of silly songs and a mudpie connoisseur. I taught canoeing and sailing and had biceps carved from steel. I took pontoon boats full of inner-city kids on their first fishing expedition. That may be the most terrifying thing that I've done to this day. I still can't believe that I didn't catch a hook in the eyelid. (Worst piercing ever, right?) Anyway, I've peed in the woods...been stung by hundreds of bees...and survived dozens of devastating sunburns along the way. My current life is a far cry from the bad ass that I used to be. But I LOVE that I have this past life. The summer that I spent on the side of one of the Blue Ridge Mountains helped shape me. It gave me confidence, taught me about the power of both friendship and Mother Nature...and it was some of the most fun that I've ever had. Leo better start stocking up on bug spray...summer camp is definitely in his future!
4. Despite my outdoorsy past, I'm like totally phobic about snakes. Ask my mister. It almost broke us up early on when we just started dating. He insisted that I see a garter snake that he found close up. He almost lost an eye...and both his testicles.
5. I was the most miserable pregnant person that I've ever met. I was sick from beginning to end...and then for a while after that. It was both one of the happiest and most difficult years of my life. It's a good thing the end result was super duper worth it!
6. I've had the great fortune to visit lots of cool places with my husband, who also shares the travel bug with me. We can make a serious adventure out of trips both big and small. I love seeing the world with him, (except when we get lost or are running late for a flight). I've adored seeing places like Italy, Jamaica, Savannah, D.C., Chicago, and Niagara Falls with him. We're really good at eating well on vacation. It's usually my favorite part. I can't wait to show Leo all of the crazy corners of this great big planet too!
7. I feel unbelievably privileged to be my son's mother. I am still amazed that despite the years of torture we spent trying to conceive, that I have this perfect little person to show for it. I can't believe he's mine...that I get to teach him about the world...about life...and love. I can't believe how fast it goes.
The world is incredibly beautiful through his eyes. I am beyond blessed.
Okay. Now for passing on the award! I'm inspired by the following bloggers for a million different reasons. Please go pay them a visit. I don't doubt that they'll leave you laughing...and feeling inspired too!
Hey lucky award-winners, please note that you are under no obligation to succumb to the rules of the award. You don't have to post, re-post, link back, or write a list about yourself if you don't want to. Just know that if you've made this list, your humor, friendship, writing prowess, and outlook on life have all moved me. I'm happy and lucky to be blogging with each of you. Thanks for the inspiration!